Thursday, February 23, 2017

Sherry Tompalski and Arden Rose at Gage Gallery Arts Collective

Tompalski's Boxers were inspired by the Female Afghan Boxing Club in Kabul

Tompalski's new work is based on and inspired by pictures of the Afghan women who train in the basement of the Kabul stadium where the Taliban used to publicly execute women accused of adultery. Sadaf Rahimi, a female boxer from Afghanistan who made history by being the first Afghan female boxer to be invited to the Olympics recounts, “In Afghanistan, there is so much violence and prejudice towards women. Because of that, when I come here and box, I feel freedom. Here we are all girls, and we talk with each other and practice. Here is freedom for me and for every girl.”

Artist Sherry Tompalski's new work at the Gage Gallery opens on Feb 23, (5-8pm) featuring her Female Boxers."This work began as large graphite drawings that are torn up and reassembled with fragments of musical score, portraying the process of coming undone, reforming and coming together. The Boxers incorporate a fragmented, difficult history which hopefully with healing and strength becomes music." 

Arden Rose on Boxers and Beauties

I create art to express myself without words. Painting provides me with joy, with calm, and with a reflective state. I feel whole when I’m making art.

Generally, my inspiration is drawn from colour combinations in nature, and in life! In this series I have particularly drawn inspiration from nature and Modigliani’s long-necked beauties.

Colour, beauty, texture, and form motivate me. Together, they create a feast for the eye. I’m not trying to change the world or create any sort of philosophical or ideological statement - I’m just painting what I believe is beautiful.

You may ask what beauty is. Beauty is a label we attach to different sorts of experiences based on a combination of cultural and personal preferences. It’s different to everyone and takes many forms.  We all have vastly different perceptions. It can be sexual in nature or nurturing. Think lover or mother. It can be skin deep or a part of the soul.

In my current work of portraits and nudes I’m attempting to depict the fusion of the female form with the beauty inherent in nature. I’ve added “nature” in the form of flora and fauna as a symbol of feminine unification with nature.
This series is painted on both canvas and wooden cradle board using acrylics. I added collage, ink and mediums for colour and texture. I love using a palette knife to create big smooth swatches of richness or to scrape down to reveal layers of colour.

Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.”  ― Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment