Friday, November 5, 2010

Robert Florian at Winchester Galleries on Oak Bay

Compositions from the West Coast (Series 6)
 OPENING RECEPTION
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 7, 2010   1PM-5 PM



“My visions and inspirations as a landscape artist continually take many turns as I'm always looking for that certain something that will inspire me and also the viewer to take a closer look at our beautiful wild, rugged Province.
In the case of this series, it was shells that I found on a secluded beach located just south of Long Beach on the west side of Vancouver Island.  I was amazed at the abundance of shells that had once led a peaceful life beneath the ocean, but are now left behind from receding tides, and have fallen prey to seabirds, bears, the sun, and now to brush, paint and canvas.  I captured many different macro images with my camera, and was able to extract a wide variety of detailed yet abstract like compositions, at times from one singular image.  The play of sunlight on solid and transparent objects coupled with subtle color variations all intertwined, proved to be the challenge in this series, but nevertheless found pure enjoyment within each brushstroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment