Sunday, March 2, 2014

Kathy Guthrie – March 2014 – Artist of the Month

 
My intuitive multi-media work is informed by past life experiences and the intrigue of connections from one generation to the next.  A handwritten note, an article of clothing, or even a conversation may spark a faded memory through which I translate into intimate works of art.  I combine delicate lines and simplified shapes with attention to detail and unified with strong design elements.

Assembling materials to build up layers is the method I use.  I am interested in putting together pieces and juxtaposing techniques often with a muted colour palette to create fresh and engaging work.

The work in the “Emergence” show on now at Gallery 1580, 1580 Cook Street, Victoria BC, is a continuation of my recent exploration of our attachment to our land, the gardens we tend, and how we cultivate our lives to stay connected.

These pieces are monoprints created from my stencil designs, chiogami papers I have collected, road maps that I referred to while travelling, and botanicals and printed on an etching press.
 
  kathy Guthrie 2 artist of the month
 
KG 3 artist of the month












No comments:

Post a Comment