Saturday, August 4, 2012

Maggie Cole - August 2012 - Artist of the Month







When I begin, I don`t have a clear idea of what the finished work will look like, but I have
a very clear idea of the aesthetic quality I am after. I am always trying to make objects
that convey or make clear a feeling; often this feeling is a bittersweet one, reflecting, I
suppose, how life appears to me.

I have a love of materials....old walls, gauzes, threads, bits of metal, papers, detritus of
all kinds, found objects...the list goes on and on. I frequently make use of the inherent
qualities of these materials (what in literary terms would be their connotation) to add
layers of meaning to a particular piece.

I always work within a set of self imposed rules when I begin a new series. By doing so,
I `m limiting my choices which, paradoxically, allows me greater freedom to paint
intuitively. However, as the work takes on a life of its own, the rules are sometimes
broken as I respond to the emerging painting.

As with most visual artists, my artwork itself is the clearest statement of what I am
about. My job is to make the work; the rest is up to the viewer.

Maggie Cole


 http://www.maggie-cole.com/

1 comment: