Saturday, February 4, 2012

Madeleine Wood - February 2012 - Artist of the Month



I design my work to create a quiet intimacy with my subjects, inviting the viewer into the voluptuous folds of a rose, the intricate tributaries of a leaf, or the anthropomorphic qualities of still life. Arbutus tree bark in various degrees of exfoliation, with evolving colours and dramatic patterns, continues my examining of abstractions in the natural world. The more familiar intimacies of body fragments and beds with their human impressions explore these same elements where reality blurs into abstraction. Ultimately, I want my paintings to feel both familiar and mysterious at the same time.

I was born and raised in BC and studied at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design Concordia University. I live and work on Vancouver Island and am represented by various galleries. Madrona Gallery in Victoria will exhibit a mid-career retrospective "Intimate Views: 1993 - 2012" from 11 - 25 February.




No comments:

Post a Comment