Wednesday, December 1, 2010

John Luna–December 2010–Artist of the Month

DSC_0397-1 John LunaThe focus of my current work has developed out of a growing
recognition that other aspects of my practice – writing and teaching-
are extensions painting as something first crafted then performed.
Much of what I do with papier-mâché (‘chewed paper’) involves reducing
matter to a state of solvency: a tactile correspondence with the
informational world. What attracts me most to painting is its domain
of tradition in tandem with its unique presence in the time and space.
I conceive of the violent re-articulation of painting as a way of
reopening this history with an authentic - if convulsive - probity.
John Luna works in painting, installation and writing and is also
involved in curating. He is an instructor at the Vancouver Island
School of Art and the University of Victoria.

www.johnluna.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment