Monday, December 7, 2009

Ivan Meade in " Question Period "


-What is your artistic background?
Back in Mexico I took several courses in colour, composition, printmaking and painting with oils.

-How do you describe your work?
Clean, Emotional, Memorable

-Who are the living artists you find more interesting?
I really like the innovation and freshness of Sebastian Errazuriz's work, the contemporary style of the Mexicans Francisco Toledo, Pablo Amor and Jose Luis Cuevas.

-Who are the no longer living artists you find most interesting?
I love the etchings of Goya and Rembrandt. Being Mexican I love the works of Rufino Tamayo, Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, David Alfaro Siqueiros, Pedro Coronel, Remedios Varo, Dr.Atl. From colonial times I love Cabera's portraits and many more. I like the art that is memorable with great content and technique. Leonardo DaVinci's sketches have always been a great source of personal inspiration as well.

-Should art have a social/political message?
It should be the internal message of the artist - sometimes it can be social, sometimes political, other times personal. Art should always be beautiful. I am a firm believer that beauty and meaning can share the same place - call it canvas, paper, wall, or stone.

-Why do you do art?
It is a personal escape. It numbs my brain and lets me explain through emotion what I am feeling in that precise moment.



1 comment: